The current criteria for membership of HEAL are:
- Must be a national not-for-profit organization;
- Must identify health and health delivery as a primary organizational focus;
- Must advance the health of Canadians;
- Must be politically non-partisan;
- Must support HEAL's Guiding Principles;
- Must contribute financially to support HEAL’s activities.
Organizations wishing to become a member of HEAL are required to present a letter of application to the Co-Chairs of HEAL. Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis and in the larger context of proportionate sectoral representation.
The application is discussed at the next scheduled HEAL meeting, a vote is taken, and the applicant is notified of the result in a timely manner.